Thursday, August 31, 2017

Blog #2 The Dream, the Myth, the Legend....

Why do we believe in the American Dream?

For the longest time I thought the American Dream was simply the tried-and-true way to a successful life in America. Work hard, and you will reap the benefits. Isn't that how it works? I believed that the American Dream was rooted in factual cases of people who had stayed on the grind, and therefore been successful in their pursuits. But what I believed isn't entirely true. 


Not to say that there aren't real cases of people starting from nothing and achieving all theirs dreams, but these facts are not the main reason people believe so whole-heartedly in the American Dream. In the introduction to The American Dream in the 21st Century (2011), authors White and Hanson discuss how the American Dream is instilled in citizens beliefs the same way myths are. It states:

 "The fact is that the American Dream is deeply embedded in American mythology and in the consciousness of its citizens. That is exactly what gives the American Dream its staying power, even in times when it seems as though it should surely die," (7).

This section of the introduction is somewhat startling to someone who believed as I did before reading this anthology. White and Hanson are claiming that the American Dream is something we are taught to believe in, even though it is not always a reality. They present the idea that because it is a myth, Americans are devoted to it more than ever in situations where the dream seems most unachievable. This analysis shatters my belief that the roots of the American Dream were based of evidence. However, the positive side of what White and Hansen are saying is that people always have something to put faith in to, and that is why the American Dream is always kept alive. 

Despite my initial reaction to viewing the American Dream as a myth, I actually believe it is good thing. This way, people do not need to see evidence to believe in the dream. In fact, even when other's pursuits of the dream fail, another person's may be kept alive. When people try to convince you that your dreams aren't attainable through hard work, faith in the American Dream will help you persevere. 

I've heard people say to me, "It's not always about what you know, but who you know," and when I hear this my belief in the American Dream falters. The idea that I could study hard, be good at what I do, play by the rules, and yet still not reach my potential for success completely goes against the principles of the American Dream. 

However, I have always kept believing in it. That is why it's okay the American Dream is a myth. That does not mean you can't make it a reality. It just means it is important to have faith in it, even when it may not seem worth it. 

6 comments:

  1. I really liked how you noted that even though the American Dream may be a myth, that doesn't have to stop us from pursuing it. In this sense, one's American Dream primarily depends on the power of their belief. If we can believe it, we can achieve it, right? The way you described the American Dream as a myth actually reminded me of the concept of religion. Religious individuals praise their God(s) or God-like figures without doubt or questions. Can they see who they worship? No. Do they always receive signs that their religious figure is there? No. However, that does not stop them from believing in their religious ideals or praying often. Now the American Dream and religion are two VERY different topics, yet when you think of the way individuals work toward something (a dream or acceptance) with unwavering faith and consistent belief, they actually do share some similarity. Anyways, I enjoyed your post and it was interesting to see how your reading really shifted your perceptions. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read this post, I actually felt like we were in the same boat. I always thought the American Dream was this big idea that only a small percentage of people would make it… but I suppose this isn’t true. With the NY Times article, some of the people interviewed had dreams such as building a home for a future family or simply getting out of a bad chapter in their lives to improve theirs’ and their future’s. I’m not exactly sure if I agree with the American Dream being a myth. A myth would require the entire idea to be impossible or unreachable, however it is not. I think it’s an end-goal that varies for each individual, and each goal requiring more or less work. Of course, there is the percentage of people who put so much work into their dreams and it never works out, but I strongly believe that this percentage is much lower. I personally have not heard of many people say that they have failed and yet put all their heart and hours into it. I believe that everyone knows that the American Dream is possible if they put the work into it, and this is why they devote to the idea of it. People see this as their shot to turn things around for themselves and other future generations, I believe that putting the faith into this POSSIBLE dream, is in fact what keeps the American Dream alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like we talked about in class, scholars use the word myth a little differently than we do on a regular basis. As such, an idea really can have truth in it, but it's a belief that is collectively held and rarely questioned or examined closely.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you that even though the American Dream may be a myth, every person has their own vision and individualizes their own dream. I agree that the American Dream provides hope for people and that is why it has survived. People need something to work towards so that their hard work doesn't seem pointless. I liked how you described your personal experiences and emphasizing that even though you play by the rules and work hard, you may seem like you're not striving towards your dream, yet you still believe in the idea. Also, I enjoyed how you broke up your last paragraph to emphasize your belief in the American Dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your inclusion of the quote "It's not about what you know, but who you know" really stood out to me. I have heard this phrase tons especially coming from a performing arts background, it is common for the dancer who is family friends with the director of a company, for example, to be hired instead of the more qualified competition. Although I have heard this quote I never thought of it in relation to The American Dream. It almost makes the belief in an American Dream seem pointless. What you may have to work hard for and invest a lot of your time to achieve, someone else, with the right networking, may get handed to them. Your idea that even though the American Dream may be nothing more than a myth, we should still strive to obtain our dreams interests me as well. I discovered that I also agree with this. Perhaps we may never reach our dream but maybe that isn't the point. We may find success or happiness in the journey which could be just as rewarding as the dream itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really interesting post, Amanda. Myths (collective beliefs) are not always bad things, and this one is a glue that holds us together and keeps us moving toward some kind of improvement in life, both individually and nationally. That is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete